Tuesday, November 19, 2013

This too Shall Pass

In August 2008, the Olympics took place in Beijing and the USA men's 400-meter freestyle relay race team and America was about to lose all hope and also lose the race. Jason Lezak wasn't about to let his team mates down, and wasn't about to let America down; however Lezak had a shoulder injury and that was the only thing keeping him down. In an interview, he stated this "I changed," he said. "I thought, 'That's ridiculous. I'm at the Olympic Games, I'm here for the United States of America. I don't care how bad it hurts, I'm going after it. I just got a super charge." 

Jason Lezak never gave up, even the announcers lost hope for team USA, and during the middle of the video the announcers even stated that USA had lost this race, however Lezak came back. Lezak gave it all and ended up winning. America, Team USA and even the announcers were shocked. Watch the video to see how determined Jason Lezak was. 





Jason Lezak shows resilience and inspiration. He fought for his dream. And he succeeded at it. 


So many individuals have a hard time pursuing their dreams because they're told "they can't do it", and trust me I've had my share of people not believing in me. In high school, I was told that I would probably not get accepted into a college due to my lack of mathematics skills. I was horrible at math, if there was a word worse than horrible then it would describe me. I had a teacher tell me that I wouldn't amount to anything because I wasn't good in math. To this day, it is still is in my head and I still am worried every time I try to figure out the 'tip' on a check, thankfully I've gotten better with age ;).  However, in 164 days I graduate from college. I graduate from Oral Roberts University, and I'm applying to graduate school. I never gave up, and I was resilient just like Jason Lezak was during the olympics. 

Follow your dreams, and never let ANYONE stand in the way of your goals. If I had allowed that teacher to stand in the way of my goals and dreams then I wouldn't be graduating with honors from an amazing university and debt free thanks to scholarships I'd received. 

“One's doing well if age improves even slightly one's capacity to hold on to that vital truism: "This too shall pass.” -Alain de Botton 




Until next time, 
G

No comments:

Post a Comment