Tuesday, November 26, 2013

#thankful

Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books- especially the Bible, build a shelter against a rainy day, give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance everyday. 
John Wooden

Thanksgiving is approaching and I think we can all agree that one of our favorite things about this holiday is the food, and the amount we get to eat without being judged. However, this is one of my favorite holidays because I love hearing what everyone is thankful for, and I personally believe that we should state what we are thankful more than just the month of November. Also, the trend where one will publish what they are thankful for on Facebook for the month of November is also misleading and it makes me wonder, what if you write those things down every DAY for one whole year? What would happen? Would you feel better about yourself? Would you feel more grateful?  

Roughly 830 days ago, I was given a gift that I wasn't thankful for in the beginning but now I'm very thankful. I'm thankful for the experiences it has given me, I'm thankful for the message I've been spreading and I'm also thankful for the lives I will continue to touch. It wasn't something that normal people would define as something to be thankful for, however in my book it is. Cancer has given me so many things to be thankful for, and when I was diagnosed I started to write down in a journal and I called it my "thankful list", I began to write down the things I was thankful for each night during this trying time and I figured that it could help me turn my glass into half full, instead of empty. It allowed me to be thankful for the things that mattered. 

"Thankful list for November 25th 2013, it's cold and rainy. However, it's that time of the night to sit here and write down my thankful list and be thankful for this day...

1.  A fire place & a good book. 
2.  Pumpkin Spice Latte (soy milk and no whip ;) ) Thankful for the guy that sang my name, it put a smile on my face while waiting for my latte.
3.  My professors at Oral Roberts University, thankful that they believe in me. 
4.  SENIOR PAPER IS DONE, very thankful. Like really thankful. 
5.  Justin Timberlake, and his song "That Girl", melts my heart. 
6.  Cake...you can never have too much. 
7.  My parents. So #thankful for them. 
8.  Fairy Tales. 
9.  My friends. The laughter we create and the memories we make. 
10. When strangers smile. Smiles are contagious, and I love when strangers smile.
11. Christmas. 
12. Cancer Free.
13. Beauty in the small things.
14. Liam Hemsworth from the Hunger Games.
15. Getting to spend Thanksgiving with my Mimi one more year.
16. Making no little plans. "


Turning in my senior paper. 

These are just a few of the things on my "thankful list" from last night. Some are silly, and some are serious, however these were more silly because I was having a rough night and needed a good laugh. Its the LITTLE things in life that will remind you what is important. 

What are YOU #thankful for? The answers may shock you, may make you laugh, may make you feel loved and might even give you that feeling of being content. Remember to be thankful everyday, not just on Thursday. 

-G.


No comments:

Post a Comment