Monday, April 7, 2014

Being in the Right Place at the Right Time...

So the last couple of days I've been selling ad pages for the Miss Oklahoma program book, and recently the businesses who I've asked to purchase an ad have been COMPLETE strangers. I wanted to ask individuals, businesses and people I didn't know to gain experience in selling the Miss Oklahoma program. I've gone into random businesses and have asked them for their support of the Miss Oklahoma pageant - two times in the last three days I've been able to share my cancer story and my passion for women's health. 

I walked into a business, started selling the Miss Oklahoma program and why her business should purchase an ad, "it's tax deductible, it's a great organization..." etc, however when I started speaking and asking how she was doing - she told me that her daughter-in-law was just diagnosed with breast cancer. While she was speaking and sharing her story with me, I was taken back because I had just met this owner of the business.  She told me her story, how her mother passed away from breast cancer, and her husband has been diagnosed with cancer as well. At the end, I just shared my story with her, and my platform for Miss Oklahoma - which is all about Women's Health. I shared my dream for making Warriors for Women a non-profit (still in the making) and how I'm launching a nail polish line for women's cancer and all proceeds go to women who are fighting the battle of cancer.   It was an amazing moment, and a magical moment - this is what it feels like to make a difference, and to share my passion for women's health. 

This upcoming month I'll be speaking to over 1,000 young girls about women's health. I'm ready to make a difference, and to continue to educate, advocate and empower young women. 

I would of never guessed that I would be able to impact individuals while selling an ad for the Miss Oklahoma Program book, however, I guess I was in the right place at the right time. 


-G 

No comments:

Post a Comment